One of the major challenges facing the designer of invasive medical devices is to fit the physical size of the device within the constraints imposed by the body region for which it is intended. Invasive devices inserted into the body – via catheters, minimally invasive procedures, and permanent or temporary implants – are undergoing a continuous process of miniaturization with the purpose of reaching otherwise inaccessible regions in the body, minimizing disruption of regular body functioning, minimizing energy consumption, and increasing the lifetime of implanted components.
Recognizing the engineering challenges posed by medical device miniaturization, Benatav has developed a unique array of capabilities, both in designing and producing miniature coils based on ultra-fine wires, and in connecting the wires to adjacent miniature components.
micro soldering & other capabilities of Benatav :
- Micro – coils winding based on copper wire at any diameter, down to the finest serially manufactured size of 59 AWG (9 microns, or 0.009 mm). The coils are designed and produced per the geometric and electromagnetic requirements of the client. It is worth noting that a typical micro coil having over 1000 windings can be smaller than the head of a pin!
- Connecting ultra-fine insulated wires at any serially manufactured diameter to other ultra-fine wires or to wires up to 3-4 times as thick, using Benatav’s innovative Thermo-Pressure Bonding technology. These connections provide highly reliable, corrosion-free, and strain-free connectivity without any micro soldering, which simplifies and lowers manufacturing costs. Thermo-Pressure Bonding thus provides an engineering solution to connectivity challenges that were highly complex, or even unsolvable, using micro soldering.
To learn more read our White Paper.
The combination of the advanced technologies of micro soldering & coil winding include :
- Transferring control, monitoring, and logging data to/from miniature implants
- Transferring energy to implants requiring battery charging or electrical charge input for activating and operating their systems
- Radiating energy for RF treatments, heat treatments, or electromagnetic radiation‑based treatments
- In-vivo magnetic 3D navigation, employing a local or external magnetic field
Some of the applications that can use Benatav’s micro coils include:
- Diagnostics: wireless communications with miniature implants serving physiological, glycemic, and flow sensors
- Active implants: monitoring/controlling miniature implanted pace-makers, deep brain stimulation components, etc.
- Therapeutic applications: as end devices in electrophysiological treatments and in electricity-based ablations
- Navigation and orientation: targeted drug delivery, targeted radiation catheters, stents positioning, highly-accurate ablations, implanted markers, inter-body tagging, and endoscopic, gastroscopic, colonoscopic, laproscopic, and other similar procedures